Video of Ardee Town, County Louth, Republic of Ireland
Originally called Atherdee, its name is derived from the Irish Áth Fhirdia (the Ford
of Ferdia), from the mythological four day battle between Cúchulainn and Ferdia,
for the defence of Ulster from Queen Maeve of Connacht. Ferdia fell after four days
of battle and is buried on the southern banks of the river alongside the Riverside
Walk. Ardee Castle in the town (St. Leger's) is the largest fortified medieval tower
house in Ireland.
An eight km (five miles) railway line once linked the town to the main Dublin - Belfast line. The
station opened on 1 August, 1896 and passenger services ended on 3 June, 1934. The
line continued as a freight service until finally closed on 3 November, 1976, serving
the local fertiliser factory, sugar beet, and livestock transport. The trackbed was
lifted in the late 1980s, and much of the short route is now a designated walkway.
The river Dee was the northern border of The Pale in medieval times.
Also of note is "Jumping Church" which is located about five km (three miles) outside
the town. Legend has it that a non-Christian was buried inside the Church walls and
that later that night, the Church jumped so as to leave his remains outside of the
The Norman castle in Ardee has been recently refurbished and used to house the district
courthouse, which is now housed in the new Civic Offices Complex at the Fairgreen.
A festival for Ardee was launched in 2009 titled the "The Turfman Festival". It is
held on the August bank holiday weekend with numerous of events happening on the
street from singing to face painting.
Now the town of Ardee is twinned with the town of Nettuno, Italy. The twinning agreement
was signed in 2010 by their respective mayors Jim Tenanty and Alessio Chiavetta.
Ardee (Irish: Baile Átha Fhirdhia, meaning "townland of Ferdia's ford") is a town
and townland in County Louth, Ireland. It is located at the intersection of the N2, N52,
and N33roads. Ardee is on the banks of the River Dee and is approximately 20 km(12 mi)fromDundalk, Drogheda, Slane and Carrickmacross.
It currently has a population of about 5000.