The town is situated at the meeting of the Camcor and Little Brosna rivers which
flow on into the River Shannon near Victoria Lock.
Birr railway station opened on 8 March 1858, but finally closed on 1 January 1963.
The Ormond Flying Club has been in operation at Birr Airfield for over 30 years.The
area has been linked with aviation for some time - as a British Army airstrip was
previously near the current field.
Birr lies on the N52 and N62 national secondary roads. The routes are combined as
they pass through Birr.The R439, R440 and R489 regional roads also terminate in the
Bus Eireann provide public transport services to the town. The Athlone to Limerick
city service regularly passes through the town daily. Kearns privately owned bus
service provides a number of direct bus services to Dublin from Birr.
A monastery was founded at Birr by St Brendan of Birr. It produced the Gospels of
McRegol, named after the abbot at the turn of the 8th/9th century and now to be seen
in the Bodleian Library in Oxford. The Synod of Birr, held in 697, was the occasion
on which the Cáin Adomnáin, or law of innocents, was pronounced. The town itself
is an old market and former garrison town dating to the 1620s.
The column in the centre of the square dates from 1747 and was built to carry the
statue of the Duke of Cumberland, known as the Bloody Duke and the victor of the
Battle of Culloden. The statue was removed in 1915 as it was in danger of collapse.
On the Roscrea road, near the County Arms Hotel is the beautiful Gothic-style Catholic
church of 1817–25. St. Brendan's Church of Ireland was also built in Gothic style
in 1815 and is located in the Oxmantown Mall. A smaller Methodist Church known as
Wesley Chapel was built in 1820 on Emmett Street to accommodate a growing Methodist
congregation following the preaching of John Wesley in the late 18th century in Birr.
Birr (Irish: Biorra; pronounced [bur]) is a town in County Offaly, Ireland. It was
formerly called Parsonstown, after the Parsons family who were local landowners and
hereditary Earls of Rosse. The town lies within a parish of the same name in the
Roman Catholic Diocese of Killaloe.
Birr is a designated Irish Heritage Town with a carefully preserved Georgian heritage.
Birr itself has graceful wide streets and elegant buildings. Many of the houses in
John's Place and Oxmantown Mall have exquisite fanlight windows of the Georgian period.