Video of Carlow, County Carlow, Republic of Ireland
The settlement of Carlow is thousands of years old and pre-dates written Irish history.
The town has played a major role in Irish history, serving as the capital of the
country in the 14th century. It was voted the cleanest town in Ireland by Irish Business
Against Litter (IBAL) in 2010.
The town is recalled in the famous Irish folk song, Follow Me Up to Carlow, written
in the 19th century about the Battle of Glenmalure, part of the Desmond Rebellions
of the late 16th century. In 1650, during the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland, Carlow
was besieged and taken by English Parliamentarian forces, hastening the end of the
Siege of Waterford and the capitulation of that city. During the 1798 rebellion Carlow
was the scene of a massacre of 600 rebels and civilians following an unsuccessful
attack on the town by the United Irishmen, known as the Battle of Carlow. The Liberty
Tree sculpture in Carlow, designed by John Behan, commemorates the events of 1798.
The rebels slain in Carlow town are buried in the 'Croppies Grave', in '98 Street,
One of Carlow's most notable landmarks is the Brownshill Dolmen, situated on the
Hacketstown Road (R726).
Carlow Castle was probably built between 1207 and 1213 by William Marshall on the
site of a motte erected by Hugh de Lacy in the 1180s. Only the western wall and two
towers now survive. It is located on the banks of the River Barrow near Carlow town
centre. The castle is now the imposing centrepiece of a major urban renewal programme.
Ducketts Grove is the ruin's of the Georgian home of the Duckett Family, built circa
1800s. It was taken over by Carlow County Council in 2005, who restored the walled
gardens for use by the public as a park. It is situated just off the R418.
Carlow Courthouse is situated at the end of Dublin Street. It was designed by William
Vitruvius Morrison in 1830 and completed in 1834. It is built of Carlow granite and
gives the impression of being a temple set on a high plinth. The basement contains
cells and dungeons. A cannon from the Crimean War stands on the steps.
Carlow (Irish: Ceatharlach) is the county town of County Carlow in Ireland. It is
situated in the south-east of Ireland, 84 km from Dublin. County Carlow is the second
smallest county in Ireland by area, however Carlow Town is the 14th largest urban
area in Ireland by population according to the 2006 census. The population of the
town and its environs is 23,030 according to the 2006 census. The River Barrow flows
through the town, and forms the historic boundary between counties Laois and Carlow:
the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898 included the town entirely in County Carlow.