Video of Charleville, County Cork, Republic of Ireland
Charleville was founded in 1661 by Roger Boyle, 1st Earl of Orrery. The name 'Charleville'
is French for 'Charles Town'. Roger Boyle had been a supporter of Oliver Cromwell
in the English Civil War. When King Charles II was restored in 1660, he had to prove
his loyalty to the crown. He did this by naming Charleville after the English king.
The Irish version 'Ráth Luirc' was given official recognition in the 1920s by the
Irish Free State. This name in its shortened form 'An Ráth', meaning 'the Fort' in
English, is represented by the use of a fort in the crest of local sports teams.
Iarnród Éireann ceased to use the name Ráth Luirc as the sole official name of the
station in the 1980s; although it is still retained (as at all Irish railway stations)
in the bilingual station signs.
Charleville is geographically located at 'the heart of Munster', within the Golden
Vale region. It is 50 km from Cork city to the south and 35 km from Limerick city
to the north.
Because of its strategic location, Charleville has become an ideal location for distribution
centres for the Munster region. In 2007, Lidl set up their Munster distribution centre
Charleville has numerous pubs and also two nightclubs, as well as two theatre facilities
and is home to the North Cork Drama Festival which is held in the Parochial Hall.
The second facility is the Schoolyard Theatre which is home to the Shoestring Theatre
Charleville Library - is an example of a historic building which has been put into
use again after years of neglect. It was formally the Protestant Church of the Parish
but went into disrepair in the 1950/1960s when the Protestant population of the area
Charleville has a Community Council and a Chamber of Commerce and is is twinned with
the town Plouaret-Vieux-Marche, Brittany, France
Charleville or Ráth Luirc (Irish: Ráth Luirc or An Ráth) is a town in north County
Cork, Ireland. It lies in the Golden Vale, on a tributary of the River Maigue, near
the border with County Limerick. Charleville is on the N20 road and is the second-largest
town between Limerick and Cork (Mallow is the largest). The Roman Catholic parish
of Charleville is within the Diocese of Cloyne. Significant industries in the town
include Kerry Co-Op and the construction and services sectors.