Video of Claremorris, County Mayo, Republic of Ireland
Claremorris is the fastest growing town in County Mayo. There was a 31% increase
in the town's population between 2006 and 2011 and a 23% increase between 2002 and
2006. The town derived its name from Maurice de Prendergast, a Norman who came to
Ireland in 1169. The town was established during the 18th century.
Many new shops have been added in the last few years, including The Silverbridge
Shopping Centre. With the development of Chapel Lane from a derelict street to a
commercial street, this part of the town has been transformed. Four supermarkets
compete for customers in the town including retail giants Tesco and Aldi.
There are three hotels including the modern 4-star McWilliam Park Hotel, which opened
in late 2006. It has a leisure centre, swimming pool and conference facilities. The
town has several restaurants catering for Italian, Indian, Chinese and Irish cuisine.
Claremorris has many pubs, however a number have closed down in recent years. The
town has three nightclubs.
A swimming pool and leisure centre opened on September 1, 2009. A new Garda Station
opened in 2008. A new 6-screen cinema has been planned.
There are two secondary schools - St Colman's College for boys and Mount St. Michael
for girls - and several primary schools.
The surrounding countryside is of rolling drumlins, eskers, woods and lakes.
Genealogical records for Claremorris consist of Roman Catholic church records of
marriage which commenced in 1805 and baptisms which commenced in 1825. Church of
Ireland records consist of baptisms from 1834 onwards, marriages from 1846 onwards
and burials from 1878 onwards. These are held at the South Mayo Family Research Centre
Claremorris (Irish: Clár Chlainne Mhuiris), is a town in County Mayo in the west
of Ireland, at the junction of the N17 and the N60 national routes. The population
of Claremorris in the 2011 Census was 3,979.
The town sits at the bottom of a valley, all roads leading to the town follow hills,
in particular the old Knock road (known as the Knock hill) and Courthouse road. Although
low lying the town does not experience flooding. There is no major river through