Video of Croom, County Limerick, Republic of Ireland
Croom is home to Croom Castle, rebuilt by the FitzGeralds from an earlier O'Donovan
fortress, which may or may not have first been destroyed. In any case, it was restored
in the 19th century. In the 18th century, it was the meeting-place of the "Maigue
poets." West of Croom are the ruins of a 15th century church (National Monument)
and a round tower (12th century), the top part of which is missing. To the east is
the orthopaedic hospital which began life in 1852 as a workhouse, and became a hospital
in 1924. Along the river Maigue is a ruin mill along with a newer mill which has
been closed down.
Croom railway station opened on 1 August 1862, closed for passenger traffic on 31
December 1934 and for goods traffic on 9 September 1963, finally closing altogether
on 27 March 1967.
The town is bypassed by the N20 Croom Bypass (2001), and Bus Éireann intercity buses
(Cork-Limerick) no longer stop in Croom. The private bus operator Citylink provides
services to and from Limerick, Galway and Cork.
The well known thoroughbred horse stud Islanmore Stud is on the south side of the
village. The original 18th century house was built for a younger brother of the Earl
A Fortified crossing on the river Maigue which gave its name to the 18th century
court of Maigue poets who popularised ‘the limerick’ verse-form with their rhyming
banter and exchange of insults in Gaelic. Part of the 500,000 acres of territory
ruled over by the Fitzgerald lords, the Geraldine castle is hidden behind a high
wall on the approach to the village. The old millwheel dominates the village centre
and the restored mill dating from 1788 housing a display that traces the development
and growth of the market centre. To the east are the remains of the Cistercian abbey
founded by the 1148 King of the Munster province, whose monks later established the
great Abbey of Holy Cross. The 20 metres high remains of a 10th century round tower
lie west on the site of a 9th century church.
Croom (Irish: Cromadh meaning 'Bend in the River') is a village in County Limerick,
Ireland. It is located just off the N20 (which has bypassed the town since 2001)
on the River Maigue. It is 8 km southeast of Adare on the N20.
Before being occupied by the FitzGerald dynasty, Croom was the last seat in County
Limerick of the O'Donovan family, now principally of Carbery in County Cork. Their
ancestor Crom Ua Donnabáin took his name from the place, and it is the origin also
of the FitzGerald war cry "Crom Abu".