Video of Dungarvan, County Waterford, Republic of Ireland
Dungarvan is at the mouth of the Colligan River, which divides the town into two
parts connected by a causeway and bridge of a single arch. Both bridge and causeway
were built by the Dukes of Devonshire. The neighbouring parish is called Abbeyside,
where portions of an Augustinian friary founded by the McGraths family in the fourth
century survive incorporated with a Roman Catholic church. In Dungarvan proper, a
castle built by King John of England stands by the harbour. Of the walls John built
at the same time to fortify the town, no traces remain.
Dungarvan was incorporated in the 15th century, was represented by two members in
the Irish Parliament until the Act of Union in 1801, and returned one member to the
Westminster Parliament until 1885. Unlike nearby Waterford and Duncannon, Dungarvan
surrendered without a siege in the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland (1649–53).
The 1921 Burgery ambush, an incident in the Irish War of Independence, took place
near the town.
Dungarvan is situated at the mouth of the Colligan River. Dungarvan Harbour as such
is formed by The Quay (on the town side) and The Causeway. A single span bridge was
built in the late 18th century by Lord Devonshire to link Dungarvan with Abbeyside
and indeed Waterford via said causeway. Outside the harbour, a 3 km sandbar, "The
Cunnigar" (Irish An Coinigéar) defines the western limit of the 4 km-wide Dungarvan
Bay. The Cunnigar encloses the estuary of the River Brickey which flows out to sea
at Abbeyside without actually joining the Colligan. The two estuaries are separated
by "The Point".
The town is separated from the open ocean by a shallow, eastward-facing bay. At its
mouth, the bay is about two miles wide, with Dungarvan lying about four miles from
the mouth. A meandering navigation channel marked by red/green buoys leads into Dungarvan
from the ocean. For most vessels (except small dinghies) this channel is not navigable
at low tide. Even at high tide, cruising yachts and larger vessels must be careful
to remain in the buoyed channel.
Dungarvan (Irish: Dún Garbháin) is a seaside resort town and harbour on the south
coast of Ireland in the province of Munster. Dungarvan is the county town and administrative
centre of County Waterford. The town's Irish name means "Garbhan's fort", referring
to Saint Garbhan who founded a church there in the seventh century. The town lies
on the N25 road (European route E30), which connects Cork, Waterford and Rosslare