Video of Edenderry, County Offaly, Republic of Ireland
Edenderry is near the peat-burning Edenderry Power Station - the first Independent
Power Producer (I.P.P) in Ireland - which is in Clonbullogue, a few kilometres to
In the 16th century, it had the name of Coolestown, after the family of Cooley or
Cowley, who had a castle here, defended in 1599 against the Earl of Tyrone's rebellion.
This subsequently passed by marriage to the Blundell family and was sacked in 1691
by the army of James II.
The Blundell's land passed subsequently to the Marquess of Downshire who reversed
the earlier opposition of the Blundell sisters to the establishment of a branch to
the Grand Canal to Edenderry and paid for the £692 cost the project, which was completed
By 1716 there was thriving woollen cloth manufacturing, established by Quakers, which
employed around 1,000 people. By 1911 the town had grown to 2,204 people. Other industries
included the factory of Daniel Alesbury who made a variety of woodwork as well as
the first car manufactured in Ireland, the Alesbury, in 1907.
A railway line connected Edenderry to nearby Enfield until 1963. The line provided
both passenger and goods service until 1931, and goods only until its final closure.
In the years up to 1963 the line saw very infrequent service, and mostly carried
livestock, sugar beet, and turf, as well as private excursions. Little remains of
the line, except for occasional landmarks, such as the station house near the town
centre which is now a commercial business known as Station House Enterprises which
is also owned and run by Sean Norman. (See the gallery below for photos of the Old
Edenderry (Irish: Eadán Doire, meaning "hill-brow of the oak wood") is a town in
north County Offaly, Ireland. It is near the borders with Counties Kildare, Meath
and Westmeath. The Grand Canal runs along the south of Edenderry, through the Bog
of Allen, and there is a short spur to the town centre.
The R401 road from Kinnegad to the north and the R402 from Enfield to the east meet
at the northeastern end of the Main Street. At the Grand Canal they split, with the
R402 continuing westwards towards Tullamore and the R401 heads south to Rathangan
and Kildare Town.