Video of Killarney, County Kerry, Republic of Ireland
Killarney (Irish: Cill Airne, meaning "church of sloes") is a town in County Kerry,
southwestern Ireland. The town is on the northeastern shore of Lough Leane, which
is part of Killarney National Park. The town and its hinterland is home to St Mary's
Cathedral, Ross Castle, Muckross House and Abbey, the Lakes of Killarney, MacGillycuddy's
Reeks, Purple Mountain, Mangerton Mountain, the Gap of Dunloe and Torc Waterfall.
Owing to its natural heritage, history and its location on the Ring of Kerry, Killarney
is a popular tourist destination.
Killarney's tourism history goes back at least to the mid 18th century, when Thomas,
fourth Viscount Kenmare (Lord Kenmare), began to attract visitors and new residents
to the town. The date of 1747 was used in recent 250-year celebrations to honour
the history of Killarney tourism. A visit by Queen Victoria in 1861 gave the
town some international exposure.
Killarney benefited greatly from the coming of the railway in July 1853. British
trade directory publisher Isaac Slater noted that there were three hotels in the
town in 1846 but by 1854, one year after the coming of the railway, James Fraser
named seven hotels and described their locations.
the Railway Hotel opposite the Railway Station; the Kenmare Arms and Hibernia which
are on the main street and immediately opposite the church...the Victoria which is
about a mile to the west of the town on the shores of the Lower Lake; the Lake View
which is about the same distance to the east of the town and also on the shore of
the Lower Lake; the Muckross about two and a half miles away and near the Muckross
Lake and the Torc which occupies an elevated site about a mile and a half from the
town on the hill which rises immediately over the Lake Hotel.
In 1858, Irish born Victorian journalist, Samuel Carter Hall named O'Sullivan's Hotel
and the Innisfallen rather than the Hibernia and Torc, but Isaac Slater also named
the Hibernia in 1846. At the time he was writing, tours of the Ring of Kerry were
already an industry and Killarney was considered the starting point of the hundred
and ten mile circuitous route. He was fascinated by the horses' endurance on the
two day trip, and leaves clear advice for other travellers;
It is a common and wise custom of those who make this tour, and are not pressed for
time, to hire the carriage at the hotel in Killarney and continue with it 'all the
way round.' It is absolutely marvellous what these mountain bred horses can get through
"thinking nothing" of thirty miles for days together or even fifty miles in a single