Video of Mulhuddart, County Meath, Republic of Ireland
Mulhuddart (Irish: Mullach Eadrad, meaning "the hill of the milking place") is a
suburb situated to the north-west of Dublin city, Ireland. It is also a civil parish
in the Barony of Castleknock. The River Tolka passes near the village. The N3 dual
carriageway now by-passes the village. It is located near Blanchardstown, now also
a suburb of Dublin
Mulhuddart village essentially comprises a main street, which was the old Navan Road,
on which there are a petrol station, a few shops and cafés and a school. Though the
village has been by-passed, an under-pass connects the main street to Blakestown.
Mulhuddart includes the suburban localities of Ladyswell, and Manorfield, together
with townlands such as Priesttown. Newer estates to the west of the village such
as Swallowbrook and Pheasant's Run are within the townland of Mulhuddart.
Located on the outskirts of the village is the Damastown Industrial Estate, one of
Dublin's largest industrial estates which includes a large IBM campus employing over
4,000 people. To the north is the village of Tyrrelstown, with a sizable modern housing
The origins and meaning of the name Mulhuddart are unknown. However a number of explanations
are offered, the most likely being that the name came from the Irish Mullach Eadartha
meaning "the hill of the milking place". In ancient Ireland, cows were driven out
onto upland pastures during the summer months and special places were designated
for their milking.
Many townland names surrounding the village owe their origins to Norman settlers
who colonised the area after the Norman capture of Dublin in 1170. "Buzzardstown"
is so called after the family of William Bossard and "Tyrrellstown" is named after
a branch of the Tyrrells, who were created barons of Castleknock in 1173.
The townland of Goddamendy is perhaps the only townland in Ireland containing a prayer
in its name. Tradition has it that when a priest arrived late for the anointing of
a dying man, the dead man's relative cursed the priest, who replied "May God amend
There are a number of antiquities and old houses in the area. These include the ruins
of the Church of Mary, Our Lady's Well, Mulhuddart National School and Parlickstown
House. The Ordnance Survey of Ireland Sheet 50 map also shows a graveyard and burial
ground at Cloghran.