Video of Nenagh, County Tipperary, Republic of Ireland
Nenagh; Irish: Aonach Urmhumhan or simply An tAonach) is the county town of North
Tipperary in Ireland. In 2011 it had a recorded population of 7,995. It is a civil
parish in the historical barony of Ormond Lower. It is also an Ecclesiastical parish
in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Killaloe. Nenagh was originally a market town, and
its name in Irish means "The Fair of Ormond" - a reference to the Ormond (East Munster)
Fair, of which it was the site. Nenagh is today a busy commercial town and is governed
by Nenagh Town Council.
Nenagh, the largest town in North Tipperary, lies to the west of the Nenagh River,
which empties into Lough Derg at Dromineer, 9 km to the north-west, a popular centre
for sailing and other water sports. The Silvermine Mountain range lies to the south
of the town, with the highest peak being Keeper Hill (Irish: Sliabh Ciamalta) at
694 m.The Silvermines have been intermittently mined for silver and base metals for
over seven hundred years. Traces of 19th century mine workings remain.
The town's historic attractions include Nenagh Castle, the Heritage Centre and the
ruined Franciscan abbey. It has a mild climate, with the average daily maximum in
July of 19 °C and the average daily minimum in January of 3 °C.
Nenagh is located in the Barony of Ormond Lower which was the traditional territory
of the O'Kennedys prior to the Norman invasion of Ireland. This land was included
in the grant made by King John of England to Theobald, eldest son of Hervey Walter
of Lancashire, England. Theobald was subsequently appointed Chief Butler of Ireland.
Surving east gable of the Priory and Hospital of St. John the Baptist at Tyone. A
small settlement grew up around the castle, but it never seems to have been of any
great importance other than as a local market throughout the medieval period. An
important Franciscan friary was founded in the town in 1252 in the reign of Henry
III of England which became the head of the Irish custody of West Ireland and was
one of the richest religious houses in Ireland. The Abbey was in use for six
hundred years; Fr. Patrick Harty, who died in 1817, was its last inhabitant.
In the 19th century Nenagh was primarily a market town providing services to the
agricultural hinterland. Industries included brewing, corn processing, coach building
and iron works with the addition of cottage industries such as tailoring, dressmaking,
millinery, shoemaking, carpentry, wood-turning, wheelwrighting, harnessmaking, printing,
and monumental sculpting. The Nenagh Co-operative Creamery was established in 1914
providing employment in milk processing and butter-making.