Video of Ranelagh - Donnybrook District, Dublin City, Republic of Ireland
Ranelagh; Irish: Raghnallach) is a residential area and urban village on the south
side of Dublin, Ireland. It is in the postal district of Dublin 6. It is in the local
government electoral area of Pembroke/Rathmines and the Dáil Constituency of Dublin
Donnybrook (Irish: Domhnach Broc, meaning The Church of Saint Broc) is a district
of Dublin, Ireland. It is situated on the southside of the city, in the Dublin 4
postal district, and is home to the Irish state broadcaster Raidió Teilifís Éireann
(RTÉ). It was once part of the Pembroke Townsh.
Ranelagh was originally a village just outside Dublin, surrounded by landed estates.
In the early years of the Irish Confederate Wars (1641–1649) the area was the scene
of skirmishes culminating in the Battle of Rathmines. After the Irish united with
the Royalists against the Parliamentarians, an attempt was made to take Dublin. Their
army under Ormonde was defeated, many of them killed, and the place where they fell
(mainly between Rathmines and Ranelagh) was known for a long time as the Bloody Fields.
In 1785, only two years after the first manned flight, Richard Crosbie successfully
flew in a hot air balloon from Ranelagh Gardens to Clontarf. The 225th anniversary
of his flight was commemorated with a balloon flight from the same gardens on 23
January 2010 although due to adverse weather the balloon did not take off.
The area was incorporated into the expanding city in the 19th century, after which
massive development took place.
Donnybrook was once the location of Donnybrook Fair, a fair held from the time of
King John onwards, which became notorious for drunkenness and violent disorder. This
gave rise to the term a donnybrook, meaning a brawl or fracas. The fair was banned
in 1855, but a supermarket called Donnybrook Fair is on the main street. Parts of
the lands on which Donnybrook Fair took place are occupied by Donnybrook Rugby Ground
and Herbert Park. Donnybrook Castle, home of the Ussher family whose most famous
member was James Ussher, Archbishop of Armagh, is first mentioned in the reign of
Elizabeth I, and was demolished early in the nineteenth century.
The river Dodder runs through Donnybrook and at one time there was a ford here. It
is subject to flooding and in 1628 one of the Usshers of Donnybrook Castle was drowned
while trying to cross