Video of Weston Airport, County Kildare, Republic of Ireland
Weston Airport or Aerfort Weston in Irish, is a publicly licensed executive airport
located on the R403 regional road at Leixlip, County Kildare 8 NM (15 km; 9.2 mi)
west of Dublin, in Ireland. Its traffic is primarily business/executive as well as
private and commercial training.
Formerly developed by Jim Mansfield, the airport was seized by the National Asset
Management Agency in 2011
Weston Aerodrome was originally founded in 1931 (licensed circa 1937) by Darby Kennedy,
who, from 1946, operated a de Havilland Dragon and several Dragon Rapide aircraft
commercially from the Weston flying field, operated under the name Weston Ltd. The
charter flights frequently took the biplane airliners to airfields in the United
Kingdom. The commercial flight operation ceased in the late 1950s.
Also operated from the airfield was a flying school for private pilots with several
Tiger Moth trainer biplanes, an Auster high-wing monoplane and from 1960 two Morane-Saulnier-Rallye
four-seater low-winged aeroplanes.
Several air displays were organised over the years, and Weston was also the base
for making the air combat film about the First World War The Blue Max which starred
George Peppard in 1966. The aircraft ground scenes were shot at the airfield, which
is not to be confused with RAF Weston-on-the-Green, in England, which has no tarmac
The main terminal was completed in 2005 along with the control tower and other services
including a Skyview restaurant providing top quality catering.
Today the airport is primarily used for flight training, executive flights and private
ICAO Identifier EIWT
Co-ordonates Latitude Longitude 532108.76N 0062910.33W
Distance and direction from the city 13km West of Dublin